Here in Mayo, on the doorstep of the Atlantic, we are truly blessed with a wonderful location. Choose Castlebar in Mayo for your family break and you won’t have to break the budget. Get wonderful accommodation at great rates at Lough Lannagh and we’ll let you in on the many things to do. We’re conscious of everyone’s budget these days so we’re talking about our favourite five things to do in Castlebar.
- For the culture lover, The National Museum of Ireland – Country Life is set in modern exhibition galleries in the spectacular grounds of Turlough Park House. Just ten minutes from Lough Lannagh, it’s surrounded by magnificent gardens and lake. The Museum gives its visitors a unique opportunity to see how the people of Ireland lived in the hundred years between the Great Famine and the end of the 1950s.
- Outdoor fitness trail with a lakeside view. The outdoor gym and running route is packed with modern equipment and challenges all fitness levels. As a guest of ours, you also have tennis & multi-purpose courts on site for you to play whenever the mood takes you. You can even borrow our racquet & balls!
- There are so many walking trails locally but we have our favourites. And our current number one is the beautiful looped walk at Carrowteige. Ask us for directions and find out more about it – you will not be disappointed and it won’t cost you a penny. It has been described by Lonely Planet as ‘one of the finest sustained coastal walks in western Ireland, with a profusion of precipitous cliffs, crags, caves, chasms and islands along the remote North Mayo coast’.
- Mayo Peace Park & heritage walk at Lough Lannagh will really take your breath away. It’s dedicated to honour the memory of all those from Mayo, who served and died in all wars worldwide and conflicts of the past century, with the Allied and Commonwealth Forces, a forgotten generation who were written out of local history until recent times. It remembers those who served or died in all wars worldwide and it especially remembers all those Mayo-born Irish Army soldiers who served and died on UN operations.
- And of course, there’s always the old reliable. Window shopping in the bustling town of Castlebar is something that always remains free. What better way to get a feel for a town than a stroll around its shops and streets.
There you have it. Five things to do in Castlebar and you have yet to put your hand in your pocket. But there’s so much more to do. Just ask us and we’ll go though all your options with you. Because if it’s going on in Castlebar, we’ll know about it – and so will you. Why not get in touch with us or better still book your stay with us at Lough Lannagh BOOK NOW